In keeping with a tradition established in 2010, Mesa Contemporary Arts (MCA) Museum will produce its eighth annual limited edition calendar that will feature 12 original works on paper by emerging and established contemporary artists. Up to 48 artists will be invited and selected to produce a 50 print edition. Each print will randomly appear as a month in a calendar with no artist being repeated. The calendars will be sold for $200 each and all proceeds will be used to fund MCA Museum programming and exhibitions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING ARTISTS
- If accepted, each artist is responsible for producing a 50 print edition (in color or black and white) in any fine art print medium. No reproductive prints of existing work will be accepted.
- Both traditional and digital techniques are allowed as are variable editions, monoprints/monotypes and 19th century photographic techniques. Pure drawing and painting are unacceptable unless used in conjunction with the allowed mediums of intaglio, relief, screen, lithography, letterpress, inkjet, Van Dyke, cyanotype, gum dichromate, collotype, and photogravure.
- Straight digital prints are acceptable only if original image was digitally created, pure photography digitally printed will not be accepted.
- Paper size cannot exceed 12H x 10W inches and must be printed on acid free paper. Calendar orientation is vertical.
- In lieu of payment, each artist will receive two calendars (valued at $200 each), which will contain 24 original works on paper each by a different artist.
- In Dec 2018, MCA Museum will host a retrospective exhibition and display prints featured in every calendar from 2015 to 2019
JUROR: Jean Makin
Jean Makin was the Curator of Prints and Graphic Designer at the ASU Art Museum for 27 years, until her retirement in 2016. She managed the care, conservation and exhibition of the print collection (more than 6000 works on paper). She received her BA from Rockford College, Rockford, Il in printmaking; MA from New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM in printmaking and art history; and MFA from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA in printmaking. She has served on the Chandler Arts Commission, Chandler Historical Museum Advisory Board, the Balboa Conservation Center and Central Arizona Museum Association.
- Aug 4, 2017: All entry forms and images must be received by 5pm (Download form here).
- Aug 11, 2017: Artists will be notified of acceptance/non-acceptance. PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL.
- Oct 20, 2017: Each artist is responsible for producing 50 prints, which must be received by 5pm.
- Nov 2017: Calendars will be mailed to participating artists.
- Nov 18, 2017: Reception with prints on display in the museum's lobby, 6-8pm.
- Dec 2018-Mar 2019: Exhibition featuring prints from the last 5 years.